Before, you needed a license to be a braider in Texas. However, the braiding deregulation of 2015 has made it legal to braid without the requirement of a permit. Therefore, you can start braiding for money right away.
On the other hand, you will need a certificate if you are trying to provide other services such as dying, cutting, and styling alongside braiding.
How to Get a Cosmetology License in Texas
Even though braiding can be done without a license in the state, you will still need a permit for other kinds of hair services. For example, you need a TDLR license to do hair extensions in Texas. Here’s how to get a hair license in Texas:
- Get enrolled in a beauty school near you. Here’s an official list of beauty schools all over Texas.
- Complete your program according to the TDLR’s requirements.
- Partake in the TDLR exams.
- After passing the exams, you can apply for a license online here.
- You cannot get enrolled in a beauty school without a high school diploma.
- At least 1,000 hours of instruction is required before partaking in the TDLR exams.
- The TDLR exams consist of a written and a practical exam. You have to pass both of them to apply for a certificate.
- You need to be at least 17 to be able to apply for a Cosmetology certification.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Hair License in Texas?
You need at least 1,000 hours of instruction to acquire a hair license in Texas. Some other courses may take even more time. Therefore, you may be spending a year to finally get the permit. The process includes accepting the required course, taking exams, applying for a certificate, etc.
If you are planning on only braiding to start your income, don’t worry about getting a hair certificate in Texas. Many people in the state can start out with this occupation and get a decent earning. Moreover, you can try to learn other skills while practicing your braiding career.